Tuesday 13 January 2015

Super Groupies Fullmetal Alchemist Edward Elric's Silver Watch Necklace

My first order from Super Groupies arrived! A #FullmetalAlchemist necklace modeled after Ed's pocket watch. Very happy with their work, check out my commentary below...

First of all, this was my first purchase from Super Groupies. They do some pretty nice anime related merchandise for female fans; so things like jewelery, shoes, handbags etc. Having never bought from them before, I didn't know what the quality of their stuff was like, and also, their stuff is pretty damn expensive! 

Unassuming box.

However, I had kind of missed out on a lot of Fullmetal Alchemist stuff when it first came out so I was feeling a bit desperate for some fan things (I'm still holding out on a figure I would like of Ed and Al). When Super Groupies announced this necklace along with a shawl modeled after Ed's red cloak, I was hooked, new company be damned.

Pleasant surprise; the box is modeled after lovely looking book.
Since I was worried about taking care of a shawl, I ended up purchasing the necklace (also, that thing was bright red...).

I needn't have worried really; this necklace is really good! When it first arrived, it was just in a white cardboard box and I was thinking "uh oh, this doesn't look good..." but thankfully it was probably just for protecting the magnificent book inside.

Ta-da! The necklace is well wrapped and packaged.

The book is housed inside a cardboard slip cover for protection and is held closed by magnets which is handy. The two parts of the necklace are inside 2 separate zip-lock bags for protection.

You can very carefully open the locket to find a replica of the inside of Ed's watch.

The watch part can be opened to reveal the inside inscription and the time that the watch stopped, just as Ed's watch is in the series. If you're a fan, this is some awesome detail right there.

But before you get too excited, just notice that the watch is actually flat at the back, not really like a watch...
My summary would be:

This is an awesome piece of merchandise for Fullmetal Alchemist fans that is easily wearable outside in the general public without screaming "OTAKU" to the world. It's small and unassuming but the small details would be noticeable to any fan. The price is a bit steep but the material and quality is pretty top notch (it's sterling silver and swarovski crystal). Easily the best present you could give to a girlfriend who loves Fullmetal Alchemist.